Orange County Theft Crimes Lawyer
Have you been arrested or charged with a theft crime in Orange County? In California, the severity of a theft crime depends on either the manner in which the theft was carried out or the amount taken from the alleged victim or corporation. Additionally, any theft crime involving the use of a weapon or home invasion will automatically be a “strike” offense potentially affecting one’s life forever, not to mention facing a mandatory state prison sentence.
Some white collar theft crimes can be complex requiring the use of forensic experts to analyze financial documents and money trails. Our office has access to numerous defense experts to assist in the preparation of your defense to earn a complete dismissal or acquittal of all charges. It’s important to note that theft crimes should be handled at the earliest possible stage. Thus, it is imperative to retain an experienced Orange County theft crimes lawyer as soon as possible.
Consequently, if one is convicted of a theft crime they could face time in state prison or up to one year in the county jail. Additionally, counseling classes, probation / parole supervision, and a substantial amount of fines, and restitution usually follows.
California Theft Charges
- Appropriating Lost Property
- Auto Burglary
- Commercial Burglary
- False Pretenses
- Grand Theft
- Identity Theft
- Joy Riding
- Petty Theft
- Receiving Stolen Property
- Writing Bad Check
Defenses to California Theft Charges
- Falsely Accused: There are many instances where someone can be false accused for a theft crime. False accusations can stem from a messy divorce or a personal dispute among beneficiaries within the family estate issue.
- Consent: If the owner of the property permitted the accused to take custody or perhaps gifted the property, then there is no wrongful intent to deprive therefore the accused is not guilty of a theft crime.
- Good-Faith: In someone instances, if you have a good-faith claim of right to the item(s) or money, then you can defend these charges by your belief.
- Lack of Specific Intent: All theft crimes are specific intent crimes. If one did not have the specific intent to commit a theft crime, then they are not guilty of any theft offense.
In some instances, one can prevent theft charges from being filed if they act quickly by retaining a theft crimes lawyer. Often times, criminal lawyers can submit a mitigation package to the filing prosecutor containing character letters, your side of the story, along with any exculpatory evidence in an effort to reject the case completely from ever being filed. Additionally, it’s always helpful to show the prosecuting attorney that the alleged victim has been repaid in full prior to any charges being filed.
Contact an Experienced Orange County Theft Crimes Lawyer
For more information, or if you have been accused of committing a theft crime, contact an experienced Orange County Criminal Defense Attorney at the Law Offices of John D. Rogers immediately for a free confidential consultation concerning your rights and defenses.
Law Offices of John D. Rogers
4000 MacArthur Blvd. East Tower Suite 615
Newport Beach, CA 92660